Monday, May 19, 2008

Wesak Day at Maha Vihara

I went to the Maha Vihara temple in Bricksfield with Peter and Su Yin as volunteers to help out the Wesak ceremony. Su Yin is the regulars volunteer every year for Wesak day in this temple while this is my first time here as well as Peter.

Our shift starts from 10pm to 2.30am. We registered ourselves once we reach the temple, it was already very crowded, and there are lots of stalls selling flowers, incense, lotus candle, buddhism books/CD and etc. Peter and I were being assigned to the registration counter. Our task is to take the attendance of the volunteers and distribute the t-shirt, name tag and gloves to them. It is quite an easy task, and thus I still have time to snap photos around. The temple is very nice, there is a big and magnificent Buddha statue right in the middle of the temple and the grand Shrine Hall.

Then after a while, Peter was being called to collect the garbage while me being called to involve in urging people to donate money to build a new temple in Kajang. Wow, it is very challenging to me because I need to explain to people about the purpose of the donation IN VARIOUS LANGUAGE! And the greatest challenge is when I approch Indian who speak Bahasa Melayu!!! My Bahasa Melayu really cannot pakai la, I even gotta scratched my head while thinking what is "money" in Bahasa. Haha... what a shame.

After non-stop speaking and standing for 2-3 hours, I was very exhausted already. Well, I know I am talkative, but doesn't mean I won't feel tired of doing too much talking ok? :)). Then I headed back to the registration counter to continue helping for the registration, but it was already 2am++ thus I just help out for a while and get ready to go back. Although it it almost 3am at that time, but still there are quite number of peoples around. I never know Wesak day can be so merry too.

I felt so contented on this Wesak Day. It is very tiring but yet I enjoyed it so much. Hopefully I can make it to come back again next year.

The Magnificent Buddha statue

The Shrine Hall.. See the crowds?

The Oil Lamps

The Spinning Lantern

Here's the registration counter

Our desk of that night .. :)

Peter and I.. Too free while waiting for people come to register themselves.

8 comments:

琦筠Eugene李 said...

Memorable and Meaningful event...

琦筠Eugene李 said...

ask ppl donate money very hard de..
last time i being volunteer for WWF also need to ask ppl donate money, different language presented!haha...excited!

Eunice Foo said...

wahh ...so meaningful wan ar ..never knew what was wesak day is about .. always mix up with thaipusam pulak ..

Tammy said...

Oh no bunny, how can you mix up Wesak Day and Thaipussam? One for Buddhist and one for Hindu, aiks..

Anonymous said...

wah so happening eh... i just know wesak day is a holiday to sleep longer ^_^.

Unknown said...

Good job, Tammy...

Anonymous said...

hello,i would like to be a volunteer for the wesak day next year but not sure how.would reli appreciate if u can tell me :) thanks

Tammy said...

Actually is my friend who ask me along for this event. Perhaps you can remind me again next year at the same time, then I will ask her to register for you too