Monday, October 29, 2007

Going back in time in Malacca Day#1

It has been some time since I last visit Malacca, if I'm not mistaken the last time me and Allan have been here was 2-3 years ago for our convocation. We both spent a great deal of time in Malacca during our Alpha year in university although we do not know each other during that time, haha. The food in Malacca is nice, and the whole city is so full of historical ambiance, and that's why I love Malacca so much. So, myself and Allan decided to pay a visit to Malacca.

We reached Malacca in the evening because Allan had a company event in the morning. We went out for dinner once we touched down at the hotel. We definitely won't want to miss the infamous 'Satay Celup' and want to avoid the crowd too. Allan really miss the Satay Celup very much, he is so excited when they start to serve him all the 'celup-celup' food. I have to stop him from putting the whole bunch of skewers into the pot of satay sauce, and finally stop after I reminded him about the other food on our to-eat list from Jonker Street later.

Heading out from hotel

Sa~~tay~~ Ce~lup~~~

I bite... hard

"Allan, look here", "Later la, eat first"

Then we head off towards Jonker Street. Now is the time where I got really excited. Jonker Street is my favorite spot in Malacca. It is a night market where there are stalls selling various interesting goods and some of them are rather odd too. Besides the stalls that sells the usual stuff such as clothes, accessories, handicraft... you can also find stalls selling old coca-cola bottles, stamps, antiques, our old time toys, pets and most importantly FOOD!!! Not only that, there were street performances too! And after so many years, we can still spot the sifu that uses his hand to poke a hole in the coconut. No play-play man, he has broken the Guinness World Records for his performance.

Neh, the uncle that pokes hole in coconuts using his finger

Old school feel of Jonker Street

So exciting neh

Makan'ing

Food again

The Orang Utan House that sells funny t-shirt

This is the cafe where they shot "Summer More More Tea"

You can also find cheap and nice clothes here

Nice wall graffiti that deserve a shot

Ok, I'm not putting this pineapple tart in my mouth... See the manufacturing date?

After walking a while, we then stop at this shop selling the famous Chendol and Asam Laksa (as claimed by Allan). There is no need for deco in this shop to match the ambiance of the Jonker Street because this shop itself is an antique. The wall, the dining table, the chair, the lamp, the clock.... So prehistoric man..

The antique restaurant

Allan's favorites Asam Laksa

Wooo~~~ What is better than a chilly yummy chendol after a long walk?

As the cafe along the street playing the 50s classical song, I thought I have traveled back in time where my parents pak tor in night market. Haha. We spent a few hours here until the shop starts to close for the night. At first we plan to explore all the way to Klebang for its beaches and aherm..the Roti John, but I am just too full and Allan is just too tired. Then we just went back to our hotel...and sleep.

~~~CREDITS~~~~
My personal photographer of the night

2 comments:

Eunice Foo said...

wa wa wa ..one day but seems to have done so many things ...good good ..

I actually dun have much feelings bout melaka .. hehe .. cuz previously i have been there 4 - 5 times just for work and spent like 2 weeks each time ..so abit immune to it ... but agree that its a nice place with historical buildings :)

Tammy said...

oo, I spent a year in Malacca during my first year of Uni, that's y hav the "special" feeling on Mlk.. next time u pay me for accommodation and food and transport then I be your tour guide and show you the true colour of Malacca..hahaha