Friday, July 10, 2009

Mount Kinabalu - I came, I conquered, I survived!!!


Yeah, I'm back from Mount Kinabalu, in one piece.. Actually it's been few weeks since my return, but I was just lazy to blog and I'm so occupied with work lately.. I was still feeling exhausted and dehydrated for the past week; despite the muscle pain all over my body. It took me one entire week to heal, till now, I'm still feeling lazy and just don't feel like going anywhere~~~

Anyway, it was a superb experience I can say; there is no word can describe the sense of achievement I felt. Honestly, it's never easy to climb the South East Asia's second tallest mountain, there are total of 8km to reach the resthouse at Laban Rata from the base, then another 4km from the Laban Rata to the peak!

We started off from the base at 9am. Along the Mesilau trail, we can see our surrounding is changing miles after miles. From the first few km of usual rainforest scene, to the 5th km onwards where it starts getting misty and cold, then a bit further up, the path has turned from soil to rock; lined with strange looking plant. It's never like the usual hiking we used to do in the weekend.

Let's start!

The soil path.

Then we passed by the small waterfall, it doesn't showed in this photo though.

Then the suspension bridge

The milestone of 5km, it starts getting misty and cold. Time to put on the sweather.

Keep going... The view is fantastic along the Mesilau trail, our target is in sight!

Then from the 6km onwards, the path turn from soil to rock, lined by strange looking tree. You can't actually see it from the picture here, but the trees are having kind of wool thingy on its leaves.

We are getting INTO the cloud. But this last 2km to reach the Laban Rata resthouse was really killing me.

Then finally we reached the Laban Rata resthouse after 7++ hours of trekking. We quickly grab a hot drinks and the first thing came out in my mind is to call my dear. I just can't wait to share my joyous with him although I know he is at work during that time, he couldn't see me but I was actually shivering there and the excitement has overcame the exhaustion.

Laban Rata resthouse!! you have no idea how this looks like a heaven to us when it came in our sight.

Phew~~ Hot Milo is what we really deserved. Good job everyone!!

After taking dinner and shower at the resthouse, then we trek another 500m to our hut in order to grab a nap before continue our journey the next morning. However, could it be the unbearable coldness, or the altitude sickness, or perhaps the dehydration; most of us just couldn't sleep well on that night. Few of us including myself had developed fever and suffered from migraine too.

In front of the Laban Rata. Felt a little bit rejuvenated after the dinner and shower. But then the altitude sickness kicked in.

There are about 4km from the Laban Rata to the summit. Although it's half the distance of the treakking we had on the day before, but this 4km is really killing. Although few of us were not feeling well, but still we struggled and started off from Laban Rata at 2am, the wee hours in the morning, nothing you can expect except the darkness.

While we were going further up, every step has became more and more difficult due to the lack of oxygen and the icy cold breeze. This is the toughest part where lots of people decided to turn back. In fact, I also feel like giving up, but NO!! I'm not there to give up half way before reaching the peak! I strive with determination and crawl towards the summit under the starring night; yeah, the star are so bright from the mountain, I can felt it's so near to me like I can almost touch it.

Dawn


The peak is deceivingly close; so near yet so far. Now you see how tiny human is compare to the magnificient mountain.

At that time I've already exerted all my energy, I have to stop and rest/breath every 10 steps I walked/crawled, but I wanted to reach the summit so badly and I just kept going and going and going and going; solely rely on my mind power.

The cloud

We shared the same target; to reach the summit. Just keep crawling.

Finally I reached the peak after 4++ hours!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CAN YOU IMAGINE THAT?? I DID IT!! The view is fantastic!!!! We are not only in the cloud, but are ABOVE the cloud; standing on the peak and seeing the mountain surrounding us under our foot!! We even spotted a vertical rainbow on the summit, I think we were just too near to the rainbow thus there it comes the vertical rainbow.. Wow. WOW.. WOW... I can still feel the wow now after weeks by looking at the picture. The place is just so unreal.. It is neither picture nor word can describe you the real beauty of this mountain, you have to be there to experience it by yourself.


After snapping some photo, time to move our ass again. We took another 3-4 hours to reach the Laban Rata from the peak, then we checked out from our hut and grab the breakfast. After that, another 5-6 hours of trekking down the hill. It was raining while we came down from Laban Rata, the rain worsen the trekking as the path becomes so slippery and I felt so cold. I was almost half dead by the time I touched down at the base of Timpohon trail.

The fog while we came down from the peak down to Laban Rata.

Hold the rope tight!!
What can I say? this is a superb experience. Nothing can beat the feeling when u conqueuer such a huge mountain! I was amazed by my own determination too, I think I really deserved an applause from myself. ^_^

There are 17 of us in total. It was really great to meet you all. I had a great trip; not only the climb, but also all the fun we shared during the entire trip.

2 comments:

Eunice Foo said...

great job tammy ! well done !!
i see only i can feel how san fu it is ~
*clap clap* for you :)

i tried to comment last week but couldn't post anything ~

Tammy said...

hehe, thanks Bunny.. maybe next time u can consider taking helicopter there.. hehe...

I also dunno wats wrong with my blog, but now shud be ok dy, just get rid of some of the security feature thingy, shall be ok dy gua..